Monday, June 25, 2012

I have a new granddaughter.  Her name is Iris Arlene Clyde.  My daughter Aimee son-in-law Matt are the proud parents.  My daughter Christy and my son-in-law Chuck are expecting a  baby girl in October.  My son Jonathan and his wife Olivia are expecting a baby on December 24.  I go from three so six grandchildren in a matter of a few months...

I am not really sure exactly how to react to the knowledge that I will have 6 grandchildren before I reach the age of 50.  Somehow that just does not seem right, but I am so very blessed to have such a wonderful family.  When our first son Carl passed away in August of 1986, I seriously thought I might never have any children.  Though the loss was the single greatest challenge in my life, the blessing that he and our other four children have been has truly been something beyond measure.

Today is exactly 6 months from Christmas Day.  I sent and message to my wife that I wanted to put up the Christmas tree.  The message received no response... Sigh...

I am back on Facebook after a few months hiatus.  I didn't want to miss out of some of the things that I felt like I was.  There are some things that I would rather not know about though... Alas, you can't have it both ways.

My son graduated from Spanish Fork High School.  I now officially have no dependent children, and according to the agreement my wife and I reached in about 1994, I can officially return home to Houston and  end my banishment from my home.  Alas, I love my children and grandchildren more than my home town, so I remain here in the frozen wilderness where I will one day die and be buried behind the shed in the back yard.

Diet Dr. Pepper.  The beverage of choice for most of the free world.  If it was consumed by everyone, I believe there would be world peace and even boring soccer matches could not ruin it.  No offense to those that like soccer.  I just don't care for it.  Those that complain that there is no action in baseball need to have their head examined when they say they really enjoy the fast-paced action of soccer.  Don't get me wrong, I know lots of people love it, but when I went to a match once I waited in line for a hot dog for about an hour and came back and the score was still 0-0.  I guess I really like the man vs man battle between a pitcher and a hitter.  Hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do in sports.  Don't believe me?  Ask Michael Jordan.  He was one of the greatest athletes ever, and he could not hit is weight in the minor leagues.

Speaking of sports, what do you think... is bowling a sport?  What about NASCAR?  Badminton?  Curling?    Seems to me that most of those have much in common with chess, which I do not consider a sport.  Don't get me wrong here... I'm not saying that they are easy, or that there is not competition associated with them.  I just don't really consider any of them a sport... just my spin...

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to your family Jon! I hope Aimee and baby Iris are doing well. You just need to talk all your children & grandchildren into loving your hometown as well. Until then, I'll eat a Whataburger for you.

    ReplyDelete